No variable specified
BITS AND BITES: Well-regarded chef barred from Peach & The Pork Chop
by Joan Durbin
jdurbin@neighbornewspapers.com
October 23, 2013 11:56 AM | 3103 views | 0 0 comments | 27 27 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Well-regarded chef barred from Peach & The Pork Chop

News that well-regarded chef Boyd Rose was taking the helm of the not-yet-open Peach and The Pork Chop in Roswell’s Sweet Apple Village was greeted with loud applause from the food savvy here in north Fulton.

Earlier this month, that bubble burst. Rose’s non-compete contract with a former employer was legally enforced by a judge’s ruling and the talented young chef will be forced to stay out of restaurant kitchens hereabouts until at least July of 2014.

“Obviously we’re disappointed at losing Boyd,” said P&P owner Chuck Staley. “It’s just really sad.”

The search for a replacement for the new eatery has just commenced, Staley said. “We never looked for anyone else other than Boyd. Now we’ll probably interview 10 to 15 people,” Staley said.

With P&P getting a late start on construction, Staley estimated its opening will now be sometime in April. Though it’s a far cry from the original timeline of before Christmas, it should give the P&P peeps ample time to select just the right candidate to run their culinary show.

Albertario promoted to exec at Ray’s

Speaking of new executive chefs, Matt Albertario is now “it” at Ray’s on the Creek in Alpharetta.

Prior to joining the Ray’s Restaurants family, Albertario worked in Chicago as a sous chef at several different private country clubs until moving to Atlanta in 2006 to serve as the executive chef at Wildfire.

After six years of running the kitchen at the Dunwoody restaurant, he started at Ray’s on the River as executive sous chef.

Albertario said he plans to keep regular customers happy with great food made with quality ingredients and develop a new customer base with new menu items.

Where’s the Salt?

This must be the year for delayed restaurant openings. The Alpharetta incarnation of the wildly popular Salt in Roswell was supposed to open Oct. 14, but didn’t. Word comes third-hand that it’s now looking like late October or early November.

Countdown on for Canton Street newbie

Thankfully, one new entry into the dining scene will make its predicted opening date of fall 2013.

Ryan Perniece, co-owner with executive chef Ted Lahey, confirmed that their rustic Italian resto Osteria Mattone is still on target.

“The space is looking better every day; we’re very happy with the results, if not exactly the timeline,” Perniece said.

“At this point, we’re sticking with our expected opening in early November, but I don’t have a specific date yet. Frankly, that depends largely on when our back of the house equipment arrives, as we’ve had some trouble with that.”

Osteria Mattone will occupy a renovated vintage single family home on Canton Street in Roswell, not far from the owners’ other venture, Table & Main.

Fast-casual Mediterranean food

The 18-year-old fast-casual Zoës Kitchen chain’s entrance into Roswell happens tomorrow at 1105 Woodstock Road.

Its menu is Mediterranean inspired with some Southern twists and will feature salads, pitas, sandwiches and kabobs, with some gluten-free choices.

Sides include no-mayo slaw, potato salad and braised white beans with fresh rosemary.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides