No variable specified
Mustangs run roughshod over North Springs
by Steve Ruthsatz
November 13, 2012 03:40 PM | 2144 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Kennesaw Mountain capped off its 2012 season Friday by routing North Springs 45-0 in a non-region game at Cobb Energy/Mustang Stadium.

“It’s huge (to finish with three straight wins),” Kennesaw Mountain head coach Andy Scott said. “The biggest thing is just how much adversity these seniors have had to go through. I’m their third head coach and they’ve won three games up until this year, so to win four their senior year, it’s just a testament to them staying together and doing the right things. It was fun to finish the year this way.”

The last time the Mustangs (4-6) won three games in a row was at the end of the 2007 season. On the other hand, the Spartans (0-10) lost their 33rd consecutive contest.

Less than 3 minutes into the game, Kennesaw Mountain got a 25-yard field goal from Adrien White, who later kicked six straight successful extra points, giving the Mustangs a 3-0 lead.

A blocked punt by Kennesaw Mountain’s Tyler Cooper on the first possession by North Springs resulted in Miles Inman scooping up the ball and taking it into the end zone, putting the hosts ahead 10-0.

Two plays later, the Mustangs’ Sidney Hammond recovered a fumble by the Spartans, setting up a 5-yard touchdown run by Jamari Carter, putting Kennesaw Mountain in front 17-0.

The Mustangs came up with another blocked punt early in the second period, this time by Hammond, and Kennesaw Mountain made it a 24-0 contest after Eric Monts pulled in a 6-yard touchdown pass from Nigel Hayes.

At the 6:36 mark of the second quarter, Hayes scored on a 2-yard run and the Mustangs had a 31-0 advantage.

Inman ended North Springs’ ensuing drive with an interception and Kennesaw Mountain held a commanding halftime lead.

With a running clock, the Mustangs concluded the scoring with two more touchdowns in the third quarter.

The Spartans lost a fumble on the second-half kickoff with Jayson Toweh recovering the loose ball for Kennesaw Mountain. Monts followed with a 16-yard touchdown scamper and the Mustangs led 38-0.

Another Kennesaw Mountain interception, this one by Maceo Inman, gave the ball back to the Mustangs. Hayes made the final score 45-0 with a 35-yard touchdown run with 3:40 to go in the third period.

In the final quarter, Kennesaw Mountain played a lot of reserves and nearly added to its lead, but the Mustangs were unable to get into the end zone after having a first-and-goal situation at North Springs’ 8-yard line.

*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides