No variable specified
No explosives found at home of man who shot Alpharetta police officer
by Lindsay Field
April 16, 2013 05:33 PM | 4250 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A neighborhood off Bells Ferry Road was evacuated for almost four hours Monday while police searched for a suspected bomb.

Officer David Baldwin with Marietta Police said Cobb County’s and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s bomb squads, as well as Alpharetta and Roswell police, were at Curtis Hicks’ home in the Oak Harbor subdivision off Bells Ferry Road searching for a bomb.

Hicks, 52, was involved in a shootout with an Alpharetta police officer in a parking lot and other officers along Georgia 400 on Friday night.

Officer David Freeman and a bystander were shot and taken to the hospital. Both are expected to make full recoveries. Hicks was killed.

Alpharetta Police said their department received information that there may be an explosive device in Hicks’ Marietta home.

“As a precaution, they called in the bomb squads to help clear the house and to make sure everything is safe,” said Baldwin.

Nothing was found at Hicks’ home, and the bomb squad gave their all-clear just before 4 p.m. Monday.

George Gordon with Alpharetta Police said Monday that his department still isn’t sure what led to Hicks’ shooting spree, but there were some reports of his having financial problems and issues with his homeowners association.

“There is just nothing to indicate why he chose this course action that led to him losing his life,” Gordon said.

As far as what the local department does know about Hicks, Baldwin said he lived at his home alone and they don’t have any records of him ever having a problem with local authorities.

“In October, he was reported as a missing person by his father, but it was more because they have a very estranged relationship,” Baldwin said. “In March of this year, we took him off of the missing person list once we were able to determine that he wasn't missing. He just chose not to have any contact with his family.”

The case is still under investigation by Alpharetta Police.

*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides