We have seen the news, we have read the papers and we know how vulnerable the most innocent segment of our society is. There is something you can do. I have listed some great resources that you can use to help locate these missing children.
1) The Sandy Springs Police Department website; www.sandyspringspolice.org. The SSPD is a member of Atlanta Crime Stoppers, www.CrimeStoppersAtlanta.org. You can receive up to a $2,000 reward.
2) Amber alerts – you can sign up at http://alerts.gbi.georgia.gov/. If you have a smart phone, it should have the option to turn on the Amber alert. The Georgia DOT traffic signs also broadcast Amber alerts.
3) Code Adam - www.missingkids.com/CodeAdam, in memory of Adam Walsh; operated by the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.
4) National Center for Missing & Exploited Children - http://www.missingkids.com/home
5) FBI – (Kidnappings & Missing Persons) - http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap
6) FBI – (Parental Kidnappings) - http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/parent
7) Sex Offender Registry: National Search - http://www.nsopw.gov/
8) When Your Child Is Missing: A Family Survival Guide (PDF) - http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Missing-Children.shtml
Freebie: In Georgia, there are three ways to lose your driving privileges. They are:
Cancellation: The Department of Driver Services is authorized to cancel your driver’s license if you fail to give the required or correct information needed in your application or if you are otherwise ineligible. You may reapply once you satisfy the requirements.
Revocation: When your driver’s license is revoked, your driving privileges are terminated and withdrawn until the end of the period of time prescribed by the formal action of the DDS. At the expiration of the revocation period, you may apply for a new driver’s license once you satisfy the requirements.
Suspension: When your driver’s license is suspended, your driving privilege is temporarily withdrawn for a specific period of time. At the expiration of the suspension period, you may apply for a driver’s license once you satisfy the requirements.
Officer Larry Jacobs is the crime prevention officer for the Sandy Springs Police Department. He can be reached directly at email@example.com.