The Chamber recognized Andrew Gamel, Sydney Sims, Roxanne Richardson, Nicole McKim, Alex Leischow and Brianne Leischow as their schools’ top-scoring students on the SAT standardized college entrance exam in a ceremony at the Paulding County School District headquarters in Dallas.
STAR, which stands for Student-Teacher Achievement Recognition, is sponsored statewide by the Professional Association of Georgia Educators Foundation. To be nominated, high school seniors must have the highest score on a single test date on the three-part SAT and be in the top 10 percent, or top 10 students, of their class based on grade point average.
A local organization sponsors the district-level STAR student award, and that winner goes on to compete on a regional basis. The regional winner then competes against other regional winners for the statewide honor.
STAR students also select teachers who have had the most influence on their academic success as their STAR teachers.
Students named as school-level STAR winners within the Paulding County School District:
- Gamel, 18, son of Tommy and Roseann Gamel of Dallas, is Paulding County High School’s STAR student. He selected Bill Hayes, his honors physics teacher, as his STAR teacher. He is undecided on a college choice.
- McKim, 17, daughter of Sherie McKim of Douglasville in Paulding, is South Paulding High School’s STAR student. Her STAR teacher is Janene Browning, her calculus teacher. McKim plans to attend the University of Alabama.
- Sims, 17, daughter of Rebecca and Chad Sims of Dallas, is East Paulding High School’s STAR student. Her STAR teacher is Spanish teacher Tonya Simmons. The STAR student plans to attend either UGA or Kennesaw State University.
- Richardson, 18, daughter of Jerry and Shawna Richardson of Dallas, is Hiram High School’s STAR student. Her STAR teacher is world history teacher David Todd. She plans to attend Kennesaw State University.
- Alex Leischow and Brianne Leischow, children of Steven and Kristy Leischow of Dallas, both 18, tied as North Paulding High School’s STAR students. Alex’s STAR teacher is chemistry teacher Tammy Brown. Brianne’s STAR teacher is history teacher Christina Stanley.
Alex is considering UGA, while Brianne is considering UGA and University of Alabama.
They also had the highest score among all the school-level winners, and the Chamber named them the school district’s overall winners.
Members First Credit Union and the chamber helped provide gifts to the honorees, which included $250 gift cards to the students and $100 gift cards to the teachers.
The chamber raises funds for the event through an annual skeet shoot organized by Ragsdale Heating and Air.
The Leischows will compete with other northwest Georgia district-level winners later this month in the regional STAR competition in Rome for the chance to win the statewide title.
The last regional winner from Paulding County was William Donald Crew in 1987, according to the association’s web site.
The 2013 statewide winner was William Franklin Morris of Gainesville High School.